Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sunday in the park



Here we are in the park at Shamian Island. Nan is warming up to me. She's learning English quickly and was yelling "Hello!" while playing hide-and-seek. She and Aslen are true sisters, fighting over who gets to push the buttons in the elevator, sharing snacks and giggling. Yes Nan is shooting the peace sign at the camera. Don't know where she learned that but she does it often.

Today (Sunday) we went to visit a Buddist temple that is 700 years old. A monk-type guy was performing a blessing ritual so Aslen and Nan were officially blessed. He sang a song that sounded exactly the way you are imagining it would sound and flicked some water on their heads. Then I practiced my negotiation skills at the jade market. I'm torn because if you don't negotiate then you insult them but it's hard to forget that we're only haggling over a few dollars, and I'd really like them to have a few extra bucks. If I walk away looking like a sucker then so be it, they need the money more then I need to pay $1 less for a bracelet.

I really like it here. There are many Americans so we don't draw crowds when we go out or get a dozen camera phones flashed at us. People still want to touch Aslen's hair though. People come out of their shops to give her fans or dolls. Then we have to buy the same for Nan so there are no hard feelings (I think the shop keepers have this trick down) It's a nice rainy day, very misty and cool. Plus there is a Starbucks around the corner from the market for live eels and turtles (not a pet store). Tonight we are joining the other families for an authentic Cantonese meal. BTW, we had Thai for lunch yesterday and Nan ate about half of my green curry chicken. I figured it would be too hot for her but she loved it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jolean,
Thank you for the pictures, they were just beautiful. I know this is probably the hardest thing you have ever done, but you're holding up really well. You are a tough little plum blossom also, and I'm so proud of you. I couldn't help but get tickled at the description of Nan's hand washing ritual and how angry she gets if she's interrupted. It seems incredible, but it sure reminded me of a certain little brunette sister of yours, and how she used to yell at you or one of the other sisters if you interrupted her while she was fixing her hair, nails, bath, etc.
This child is really going to fit right in. I love all of you so much. Please stay safe.
Love,
Mother

Alison said...

Everyone in Japan wanted a photo flashing the peace sign. I think its an eastern thing and unfortunately not an american thing right now. Nan looks really awesome and it seems likes she is content. We love the photos.
Alison and Steve

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, I am glued to the blog during this exciting adventure. I look forward to the updates and pictures each day. Aslen and Nan are two cute little ladies. Have Fun!
~Kate

Anonymous said...

Oh...I taught Nan the peace sign. I sent her letters letting her know that is how I (super cool Aunt Saysah) say goodbye. Pretty soon she will be saying "what up sucka!" all wile doing the booty dance : ) Just you wait...

Anonymous said...

Hello Everyone, I don't know if I lost contact with you or if I messed up your blog.

Sounds like things are going good and you are all enjoying your trip.
Be safe and hurry home with my family.

Love to All
Grandma Shirley