Wednesday, February 20, 2008

At the Nanjing Wall

Well, I've decided not to get worked up about the bladder stones until we get home. Any day that does not involve a Chinese hospital is a wonderful day! Although my coordinator, Mr Li who accompanied us to the hospital, is one of the best people I've ever met. He told me that the Plum Blossom Festival would begin next week in Nanjing. The Plum Blossom is the flower of Nanjing. He said that Nan was a true Nanjing girl because like the Plum Blossom, she is the only flower capable of blooming in the most adverse of conditions. Not many flowers can bloom in the freezing Nanjing winter. Today at the Nanjing Museum I bought a silk brocade of a Plum Blossom tree for her.

Today we got a tour of the Nanjing city wall. It was built 700 years ago. It's was ordered by the founder of the Ming dynasty. It's 5 stories tall and each brick used to build it is numbered and has the name of the brick maker on it for "quality control" purposes. There are actually two walls, the one in front is lower and easier to breach. If an enemy army broke through the the wooden gate, a stone one was dropped via mechanical wench behind them and on each side so they would be trapped. It was a strategy called "beating dogs behind a bolted door." Chinese people really know how to name things. The picture above is Nan on top of the wall.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an artistic and beautiful picture!

Anonymous said...

Jolean,
She looks so cute with her pig tails!!! Love Sabra

Anonymous said...

Jo,
I knew that if anyone could get her
hair up in a pretty style it was you. She truly is a beautiful child like her sister. I couldn't help but notice Aslen's sweet smile through all the hardship, cold weather, and difficulties of a complex situation. You have two pretty little plum blossoms, who will make you very proud of them.
Love,
Mother

Anonymous said...

Ok, this is my third try at posting. So, happy belated bday! Jolean, you know you are wonderful and a great mom. Enjoy every moment of this experience. I have been thinking of and dreaming of you guys all week. Last night I had to compete "American Gladiator" style for you guys to leave China with Nan. I kicked ass. Anyway, tell everyone hi for me. You're my hero. Love, Kate

Anonymous said...

Jolean what a wonderful family you and Dallas have created. You have two beautiful girls.I am very proud of you two. Be safe and enjoy this experience. Can't wait for you all to come home. So happy you have your mother to help ease the medical concerns. This is a good thing.

Love to All, Mom