Monday, February 18, 2008

Gotcha Day

Here we are at Gotcha Day. By the time we left the Civil Affairs Office everyone was crying. Nan was terrified. She screamed at us, threw her bracelet at us and cried for her Nannies to come save her. It was by far one of the toughest mornings I've ever had. Our coordinator said we would have a very tough night. I knew Nan was my daughter when she tried to take me out with a right hook on the floor of the Civil Affairs Office. We were meant to be!

Back at the hotel, after screaming herself to sleep, Nan woke up pretty subdued after her nap. She and Aslen took a bath and Dallas and I dried her off, put lotion on her and got her dressed. I put on her stride rite shoes that light up when you stomp them and it was the first smile she ever gave me. (Should've known the way to her heart would be shoes) She seemed to like her new clothes. The coordinator came back to the hotel room to help us complete some paperwork and I anticipated another monster tantrum, but she let Anna come and go without begging her to save her. We decided to push our luck and take the girls toy shopping. Nan took my hand and didn't let go until dinner. She ate very well and smiled at me alot. Back at the hotel room Aslen and Nan played with their toys while Dr. Gong examined Nan. She has an ear infection so he brought us some drops and medicine. Nan started laughing and running, dancing and playing. She says "hello" "shoes" "Aslen" and "water." Right now she and Aslen are giggling and pretending to try to go to sleep. They are turning into sisters quickly.

What a day...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the TLC Oh and the shoe and toy shopping, Nan will come around. With a right hook no one will take advantage of her.
Aslen you and Nan will be friends before you get back home.
Dallas and Jolean your job has just begin. Your TLC goes a long way.
Stay safe and enjoy.
Love to All
Grandma Shirley

Anonymous said...

We are so excited for you. You are the perfect family for her. Can't wait to see you again and meet Nan!

Brian

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy birthday dear Jolean, Happy Birthday to YOU! Ear infections can make anyone irritable. I guess she takes after Sarah (right hook, likes toys and shoes) JK Sarah. Love you Sabra

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Jo! I'm so sorry I got the wrong age on your birthday card.(Time sure flies!) You'll understand soon now that you have two active children to keep up with. I can hardly wait to see and hold our newest little doll. I can already tell she will fit right in with our family of strong women, survivors, and shoe shoppers! Just wait until she learns a little more English and she and Aslen can fight! Love to all of you, Mother.(Grandmother)

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Birthday
Jolean

Love You!

Shirley

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Enjoy your new daughter. Enjoy Nanjing. It's wonderful:)


From one Nanjing to another,

Melissa

Anonymous said...

AHHH! I'm so happy!!!!!
Congrats and Happy Birthday!
I love you guys and I can't wait to see you...
Saysah

Bud said...

Don't worry, we'll teach her to lead with a Left jab later on. :)

So, the next words to teach her are "uncle Bud" and "aunt Jerri". Oh, I suppose you can teach her "mommy" and "daddy" too, while you're at it.

Hopefully it'll get smoother from her out, until she's in her teans.